How to make methi leaves chutney | menthi kura pachadi | methi recipes
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 2 cups of methi leaves (you could keep tender stalks on) / menthakku
- 1 large onion sliced or cubed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 red chilies broken. (Adjust to suit your taste)
- ¼ tsp. cumin
- Salt to taste
- Lemon juice or tamarind pulp as needed (I prefer lemon juice)
- Oil as needed
How to make the recipe
- Pluck and wash methileaves in lot of water multiple times. Transfer them to a colander for the water to drain off completely
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chilies and fry on a low flame till crisp. Move this to a plate to cool
- Add onion and fry till lightly golden (for about 2 to 3 mins), set this aside and add cumin to the hot onions
- Add the leaves to the pan and fry them till them wilt off. Set aside to cool along with onions
- Blend red chilies first to a fine powder, then add rest of the ingredients: lemon juice, salt ,onions, methi leaves
- Blend everything well till smooth. You don’t need to add water. The moisture from the onions will be enough to make the chutney moist.
- This chutney does not need any tempering.
- Serve with idli, dosa, pesarattu.