Mandakki Oggarane | seasoned puffed rice | Uggani | Borugula Upma
Mandakki Oggarane is a delicious dish which is liked by the people of every age group. Mandakki Oggarane by monika is a step by step process which is best to understand for the beginners. Mandakki Oggarane is a dish which comes from Karnataka cuisine and is very much popular throughout the worldwide This recipe is perfect to serve 2 people. You can find this dish at almost every restaurant and you can also prepare this at your home. It is an easy recipe which doesn’t take so much time. This amazing and mouthwatering Mandakki Oggarane takes 10 mins for the preparation and 20 mins for cooking. The aroma of this Mandakki Oggarane make you more hungry and you couldn’t stop yourself from having this. When you want to prepare something very tasty and delicious for any party or special occasion then Mandakki Oggarane will be the best option for you. The flavor of Mandakki Oggarane is unforgettable and you will enjoy each and every bite of this. Try this Mandakki Oggarane at your weekends and impress your family and friends.
Ingredients (240 ml cup used)
- 250 Grams cleaned puffed rice
- 1 large onion chopped to cubes
- 1 large tomato chopped small
- ¼ cup of fried gram powder (putnalu/putani/hurikadle) (optional, adjust to your taste)
- 1 medium sized Lemon
- Fistful of coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chilies (adjust)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 2 tbsp. oil
- ⅛ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp. mustard
- ½ tsp. jeera
- 1 tbsp. urad dal
- 1 tbsp. channa dal
- 3 tbsp. peanuts
How to make the recipe
- to make mandakki oggarane, wash puffed rice in enough water. I use my 10 lts pressure cooker to wash them. The main purpose of washing is to take away the dirt and debris from the puffed rice. While we do so, they soften. But do not make them mushy.
- Squeeze away the water from the puffed rice fully and transfer to a utensil.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard, jeera, dals and peanuts. When they turn golden, add green chilies and curry leaves. Sauté for a minute.
- Add onions and fry for 2 mins, next add tomatoes, salt & turmeric and fry till the tomatoes turn mushy.
- Add the washed puffed rice, lemon juice, some more salt and mix well.
- Heat this up with the lid closed for a min or 2 on a low flame. The purpose is to heat up the puffed rice. Switch off the flame when the puffed rice is hot enough.
- Add fried gram powder, mix well.
- Add the coriander leaves and mix well. Ready to serve.
- Tangy, spicy and yummy mandakki oggarane is ready.